Uganda gorilla trekking safari 2022; Gorilla trekking is one of the interesting and extraordinary activities that attract big numbers of tourists in Uganda. Gorilla trekking involves moving into the tropical rainfall in search of the habituated gorilla families and once found spend one hour with them in their natural habitat. Uganda is famously known for harboring half of the world’s mountain gorilla population which makes it the most visited destination and Gorilla trekking is done in two destinations that is Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga gorilla national park. Gorilla trekking is also done in Volcanoes national park in Rwanda, Virunga national park and Kahuzi Biega national park in Democratic Republic of Congo.
Where to go for gorilla trekking in Uganda 2022
Bwindi impenetrable national park
Bwindi impenetrable national park is located in southwestern part of Uganda in Kanungu district and it’s the most visited gorilla destination in Uganda because it harbors the highest number of mountain gorillas. Bwindi impenetrable national park is a home of about 21 habituated gorilla families which are available for trekking daily and gorilla trekking in done in four sectors namely Rushaga sector in the south, Buhoma sector in the north, Ruhija sector in the east and Nkuringo sector in the south.
Mgahinga gorilla national park
Mgahinga gorilla national park is another gorilla destination located in southwestern part of Uganda in Kisoro district. Mgahinga gorilla national park is a home of one habituated gorilla family called Nyakagezi which is available for trekking daily.
Gorilla trekking in both Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga gorilla national park starts with a briefing about the rules and regulations to follow during trekking at the park headquarters. After the briefing you will be divided into groups of 8 people where each group will be allocated a habituated gorilla family to trek and a park guide who is conversant with trials in the jungle. Trekking of mountain gorillas takes about 30 minutes to 7 hours depending on where the gorillas are located because they like to move from one place to another in search of food. During trekking you will be able to view different wildlife species such as mammals, other primates, birds, plant species among others and once the mountain gorillas are located, you will be allowed to spend one hour with them in their habitat which gives you a chance to learn more about their behaviors, habits, watch them carry out their daily activities like feeding, grooming young ones, breastfeeding, playing, resting among others.
Cost of a gorilla trekking permit in Uganda 2022
A gorilla trekking permit in Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga gorilla national park costs 700 USD per person for foreign non residents, 600 USD per person for foreign residents and 250,000 UGX per person for East African citizens.
How to book a gorilla trekking permit in Uganda
A gorilla trekking permit in Uganda can either be booked directly through Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) a government body in charge of tourism in Uganda by contacting the head offices in Kampala via emails or telephone calls. A gorilla trekking permit in Uganda can also be booked through a tour company like Achieve Global Safaris by contacting us with the dates and gorilla destination you wish to visit. After contacting us, we will check for permit availability and if there are permits that match with your dates, you will be asked to make a deposit for the permit. When we receive the money, we will purchase the permits on your behalf and send you a scanned copy of the receipt as confirmation. Booking a gorilla trekking permit through Achieve Global Safaris is the best option in that we will not only book your gorilla trekking permit but also plan for your entire safari which involves transportation to the gorilla destinations, accommodation, meals and other activities that you can engage in during your gorilla trekking safari.
A gorilla trekking permit in Uganda should however be booked 3 to 4 months in advance before the trekking date because permits are competitive and usually get sold out quickly especially during the dry season in the months of June to September and December to February therefore in order to avoid last minute disappointments, you are advised to book in advance.
When to go for a Uganda gorilla trekking safari
Gorilla trekking in Uganda can be done all year round though the best time is during the dry season which is also known as the peak season in the months of June, July, August, September, December, January and February. During the dry season the gorilla destinations receive less or little rainfall therefore access roads to the national parks and gorilla trekking trails will be dry and passable compared to the wet season when the trails are muddy and slippery which make trekking difficult.
Gorilla trekking rules and regulations
- Visitors must sanitize their hands, wear facemasks and observe social distance during gorilla trekking.
- Gorilla trekking only allows 8 people to visit a single gorilla family in a day
- Visitors should be 15 years and above in order to visit the mountain gorillas
- If you are no feeling well or have an infectious illnesses like flue or cold, you are advised not to visit the gorillas because they are vulnerable to human diseases and can be infected by diseases
- You should listen to the park guides instructions during trekking and while in the presence of the mountain gorillas.
- Do not leave any rubbish in the park therefore whatever you bring should be carried back with you
- Always keep your voices low during trekking and during the one hour with the mountain gorillas.
- You will be allowed to spend one hour in the presence of the mountain gorillas.
- When in the presence of the gorillas, visitors should keep a distance of 7 meters away from the gorillas.
- Do not smoke, eat or drink anything while in the presence of the mountain gorillas because eating or drinking will increase the risk of food dropping down which increases the risk of disease transmission.
- Do not touch the gorillas because they are wild animals
- When taking photos move slowly, carefully and turn off the camera flash light so as not to agitate the mountain gorillas.
- In case the gorillas charge, follow the guides example, do not look directly into the gorillas eyes because they will get agitated, crouch down slowly and do not attempt to run away because that will increase the risk of gorillas attacking you.
- In case you want to cough or sneeze when you are near the gorillas, turn your head away and cover your mouth or nose in order to minimize the spread of bacteria.
What to pack for a Uganda gorilla trekking safari in 2022
When going for a gorilla trekking safari in Uganda, you are advised to pack various items such as hiking boots to keep your feet dry, backpack, long sleeved shirt and trouser, waterproof rain jacket/ poncho, camera, a pair of binoculars, insect repellent, energy snacks, drinking water, sunglasses, hat among others.
For breathtaking and unforgettable memories, gorilla trekking is a must do activity during your safari in Uganda. You can contact us at Achieve Global Safaris for more information about Uganda gorilla trekking safari 2022 or visit our website for luxury, moderate and budget gorilla trekking packages.